Did you know that every three minutes, someone around the world is hospitalized due to a food allergy reaction? That one in thirteen US children suffers from a food allergy. In India, it is estimated that 25% of the population has at least one allergic condition. In most cases, they are not even aware of it. In addition to asthma, there are other forms of allergy, such as drug, food and insect allergy, eczema, urticaria, and many more. With a range of symptoms from mild rhinitis to hives to life-threatening anaphylaxis, allergies are fast reaching epidemic proportions.
Why Allergy Awareness?
Allergy awareness is something I feel strongly about since I personally deal with quite a long list of allergies. Due to the lack of awareness, they are often considered a choice than an actual disorder. I have previously written about Surviving Food Allergies in India and Living With Allergies – Natural Alternatives To Pharmaceuticals That I Swear By.
One of my blogging goals for 2020 was to not limit myself to writing book reviews but experiment with a range of topics. Blogchatter’s Blogging with a Purpose campaign has provided me a voice. Join me as I discuss allergies, how to cope with them, and bring about much-needed awareness. If you too deal with allergies or know someone who does, share your experiences. Let us start a conversation about an often misunderstood disorder.
Scope of the series
- Awareness regarding allergies (What is an allergy? Why it occurs? What are the different types of allergies? What is the difference between food allergies and food intolerance? How to get tested?)
- Coping with allergies (lifestyle changes, tips, natural alternatives)
- Empathy towards those who deal with allergies. How to help a loved one when he/she has an allergy attack?
- An impactful discourse so that allergy warnings on food packaging becomes mandatory. Very few brands in India include it.
- More awareness among medical practitioners and assistants about drug allergies. It might appear a given, but I have personally struggled with this with life-threatening consequences.
- An overall impactful discourse.
Disclaimer: I am not a medical practitioner. The purpose of this series is to bring about awareness. Please consult an allergist/immunologist for queries and overall management of allergies.
Is there is a cause close to your heart? Register for Blogchatter’s Blogging with a Purpose campaign to use your voice to highlight something you care about.